It has been an incredible start to the Windows Server 2012 R2 Launch Series.¬† Here is brief summary of the¬†9 posts we¬†covered so far…
- Windows Server 2012 R2 Launch Blog Series Index #WhyWin2012R2 the series, opening and index page we learned¬†that from Oct 18th and every day until Thanksgiving we should visit¬†http://aka.ms/2012r2-01¬†to learn all about Windows Server 2012 R2. You can also follow the excitement on twitter at #WhyWin2012R2. Download the calendar .ICS to populate your calendar here.¬†¬†This post¬†started the new launch series¬†where Microsoft platform experts would cover¬† why Windows Server 2012 R2 is important, how to deploy, manage, configure any number of components in Windows Server 2012 R2, how the new OS capabilities stack up against competitors, how R2 integrates with and leverages cloud services like Windows Azure and many, many more categories. This series is deep technical content with lots of How To‚Äôs and Step-By-Step instructions. You will learn about storage, cloud integration, RDS, VDI, Hyper-V, virtualization, deduplication, replica, DNS, AD, DHCP, high availability, SMB, backup, PowerShell and much, much more!
- Why Windows Server 2012 R2 Rocks! #WhyWin2012R2 -¬†You are probably like most people and realize that Windows Server 2012 was a very substantial upgrade over Windows Server 2008 R2.¬† What would you say to Microsoft doing it again, and even better?¬† WOW!¬† That is exactly what Windows Server 2012 R2 has done.¬† In this post we will look at some of the coolest additions and improvements to Windows Server 2012 R2.¬† Regardless of which of the four pillars of focus (Enterprise-Class, Simple and Cost-Effective, Application Focused, User Centric) you are most interested in, you will find plenty in this post to appreciate!¬† @ITProGuru will show you as he counts the top 10 biggest, most relevant and/or most differentiated new features in Windows Server 2012 R2.
- Where Are All The Resources For Windows Server 2012 R2?¬†- We learned where to do go get free¬†resources for Windows Server 2012 R2 including downloading a Free Trial of Windows Server 2012 R2, Free online cloud servers,¬† Free EBook on Windows Server 2012 R2, Free Posters, Free Online Training from Microsoft Virtual Academy, and much more.
- Implementing Windows Server 2012 R2 Active¬†Directory Certificate Services Part 1 &
- Implementing Windows Server 2012 R2 Active¬†Directory Certificate Services Part 2 – PKI is heavily employed in cloud computing for encrypting data and securing transactions. While Windows Server 2012 R2 is developed as a building block for cloud solutions, there is an increasing demand for IT professionals to acquire proficiency on implementing PKI with Windows Server 2012 R2. This two-part blog post series is to help those who, like me, perhaps do not work on Active Directory Certificate Services (AD CS) everyday while every so often do need to implement a simple PKI for assessing or piloting solutions better understand and become familiar with the process.
- Step-by-Step: Automated Tiered Storage with Storage Spaces in R2 – Windows Server 2012 R2 includes a number of exciting storage virtualization enhancements, including automated storage tiering, scale-out file server re-balancing and performance tuning for high-speed 10Gbps, 40Gbps and 56Gbps storage connectivity.¬† IT Pros with which I’ve spoken are leveraging these new enhancements to build cost-effective SAN-like storage solutions using commodity hardware.In this article, we’ll begin part 1 of a two-part mini-series on storage.¬† I’ll provide a technical comparison of Windows Server 2012 R2 storage architecture to traditional SAN architecture, and then deep-dive into the new Storage Spaces enhancements for storage virtualization.¬† At the end of this article, I’ll also include Step-by-Step resources that you can use to build your own Storage Spaces lab.¬† In part 2 of this mini-series, we’ll finish our storage conversation with the new improvements around Scale-Out File Servers in Windows Server 2012.
- iSCSI Target Server – Super Fast Mass Server Deployment! – #WhyWin2012R2¬†-¬†There have been some significant updates to Windows Server 2012 with the R2 release. One of these updates helps IT Pros deal with a growing problem – How do I deploy a large number of servers quickly, at scale without adding massive amounts of storage?The updates to the iSCSI target server technologies allow admins to share a single operating system image stored in a centralized location and use it to boot large numbers of servers from a single image. This improves efficiency, manageability, availability, and security. iSCSI Target Server can boot hundreds of computers by using a single operating system image!
- Why Windows Server 2012 R2: Reducing the Storage Cost for your VDI Deployments with VHD De-duplication for VDI¬†- Windows Server 2012 introduced a data deduplication for your storage workloads customers saw phenomenal storage reduction.¬† Windows Server 2012 R2 deduplucation now supports live VHDs for VDI, which means that data de-duplication can now be performed on open VHD/VHDX files on remote VDI storage with CSV volume support. Remote VHD/VHDX storage de-duplication allows for increased VDI storage density significantly reducing
VDI storage costs, and enabling faster read/write of optimized files and advanced caching of duplicated data.
- Importing & Exporting Hyper-V VMs in Windows Server 2012 R2¬†One of the biggest benefits of server virtualization is the ability to backup or restore entire systems easily and quickly.¬† Though they are infrequently used features, Hyper-V import and export are very fast, versatile, and easy to use.¬† In Windows Server 2012 R2 these features get even better.¬† I will take a look at how this functionality works and why it is useful.¬† I’ll also discuss how they are very different from the commonly used checkpoints in Hyper-V, and how you can automate this process.
Keep plugged in to the series to continue learning about Windows Server 2012 R2