Shared Tools – Toolbox – Step By Step
Any interest in adding a cool Windows 8 UI download toolbox to your blog or website? Make your blog or website the place people go to find the latest downloads I put together some resource pages that I am using on my blog and wanted to share the embed codes with you in case you want to use it on your website or blog. Make your site the GO TO location for the latest downloads by adding this really cool looking toolbox. You make the change on your site and it will “auto magically” be update with links to the latest software when new releases come out. I would love to see you post on your blog or website if you think the information is useful to your friends or other audiences, please do help me promote it. If you need help implementing it for your blog/website please feel free to reach out to me http://itproguru.com/contact/. I would be happy to help you get these activated for your community.
I created some active images for the download resources. There is a horizontal version and a vertical grid version. For each there is a “Static” and “Active – Live Tiles” version. Use whichever you want (or both, all if you like)
Current links included Windows Server 2012, Windows Azure, Early Experts, Microsoft Virtual Academy, System Center, Private Cloud, Hyper-V Server, More… Plus, we are planning some really cool changes. If you have more suggestions, please let us know.
Add Vertical “Live Tiles” Toolbox Embed Code
Add the Vertical Grid iFrame embed code in your blog where you want the vertical images All that is required is copy the following to the source of your blog/website where you want the graphics to be displayed:
<iframe width="250px" src="http://itproguru.com/livetiles-v.htm" height="380" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
When you enter the code above a box shown below will be inserted.
Add Vertical “Static” Toolbox Embed Code
Add the Vertical Grid iFrame embed code in your blog where you want the vertical images See Download.v.IFrame.Txt attached for full source. All that is required is copy the following to the source of your blog/website where you want the graphics to be displayed:
<iframe height="380" src="http://itproguru.com/eplinkv.htm" frameborder="0" width="245" scrolling="no"></iframe>
When you enter the code above a box shown to the below will be inserted
Add Horizontal “Static” Toolbox Embed Code
Add the Horizontal Tools iFrame embed code in your blog where you want the horizontal images All that is required is copy the following to the source of your blog/website where you want the graphics to be displayed:
<iframe width="100%" src="http://itproguru.com/eplinkh.htm" height="150" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>
This will add a box like the following at the location where you entered the above code.
- If you are using SharePoint you can follow instructions for inserting an iFrame from this post or for later versions of Sharepoint see this post
- If you have other platform and cannot figure out how to add it, contact Dan Stolts http://itproguru.com/contactfor help getting it on your site.
- If you want to HIDE the Shared Tools <embed> link change the height in the embed code. You might have to play around a bit with the numbers but I think the following will get your real close. Change the “140” in the horizontal bar to “125”. Change the “370” in the vertical bar to “353”. However, I strongly suggest you leave it. This will give you easy access to this page so you can easily take advantage of future adhancements
Suggested Uses for the embed tools…
- I used the Horizontal Bar to at the top and bottom of blog posts as well as in the middle of a blog post kind-of like an advertisement. It adds color and value to the post.
- I used the Vertical Grid for the News in the sidebar. You can add it to your blog as a separate widget if you prefer by adding an “unfiltered HTML” and pasting the IFrame embed.
- My primary Blog: http://ITProGuru.com (Right sidebar & bottom of page) notice I added to all pages including search, tag results, etc)
- My TechNet Blog http://blogs.technet.com/danstolts: Added to top bar
- Blog post with the horizontal bar added in the middle of the post (like an advertisement)
Please provide feedback.
|Activate – Live Tiles for Horizontal Bar||11/2012|
|Add a 2x Tile for Blog Feed RSS to scroll through a few hot blog articles
- Allow toolbox hosting site to pick “Tag” to use for Blog feed tile
- Allow toolbox hosting site to turn off blog feed tile
|Add Windows 8 Download
Add Visual Studio, SQL Server, Etc Download => After tiles are activated and they can scroll Do not want to take more real-estate
|Add [optional] Windows Phone Skin around vertical grid||2013|
|Add Picture and Link back to host website – Dynamically allow user to add their own picture with a link back to their home page/about page/rss pagesample||12/2012|
|Allow hosting user to add their own images and url’s (pass as a parameter?)||2013|
|Please submit your ideas!|
Do you want to know how I did this? I will be doing a detailed blog post series on how to create your own iFrame embed in the near future; watch http://ITProGuru.com to learn how.
- Create Shared Tools Toolbox – Vertical (2column x 3rows) and Horizontal (6column x 1row)
- Create “Shared Tools <embed>“ Link on primary embed graphics
- Add instructions on how to turn off/hide “Shared Tools <embed>” link (Deployment Hints)
- Add Future Enhancements section
Read more and keep up with the toolbox at http://itproguru.com/sharedtools
If you like the toolbox, please share the word through twitter and other networks as well as through your blog or website.