Managing and Monitoring SharePoint 2010 using System Center Operations Manager 2007 R2 Part 1 of 5+
Has SharePoint become a vital part of your infrastructure? Do you fear the day that it goes down? In this series we will show you how to keep your vital infrastructure humming. You will learn how to “Monitor” (and even manage) SharePoint with the Management Packs for Operations Manager 2007 R2. We will take a quick peek at the new SharePoint Health Analyzer and then dive into the SharePoint 2010 management packs. Once you complete this video series you will be ready to move from reactionary to proactive mode. You will know how to use powerful management packs to keep your key infrastructure humming. How they can meet your needs for monitoring and managing SharePoint and other critical applications in your business.
TechNet Video: (Part 1) Monitoring SharePoint 2010 using System Center Operations Manager – Overview (Level 200)
Part 1: System Center Operations Manager Overview
In this session we look at System Center Operations Manager and Systems Monitoring Solution that is SCOM. We cover at a very high level the foundation of the systems so you understand what monitoring is and how it works.
· Systems Monitoring Solution – Part of the System Center Family – Very Mature
· The Basics…
o Current version 2007 R2
o Visibility Into Your Systems
o Health, Availability, Performance, Configuration
o Alerts, Knowledge, Reporting
o Monitor Service Level Agreements
o Complete Monitoring Solution
o Windows Server, Desktop, Workloads
o Linux/Unix, Applications, Services, More…
o Extensible through “Management Packs”
· Architecture (high level)
· Monitoring AD, Exchange, SQL, SharePoint, Etc – Over recent years SharePoint has become a vital and critical part of the infrastructure. Like other critical systems monitoring and managing these workloads can increase performance and reliability.
· SharePoint is not just a service that runs on a server. It is a complex system that has many components. Because of this, there is a management pack specifically built to monitor SharePoint 2010. Some of the monitoring sources include the Windows Event Log and the Windows Services. If for example WWW services are having a problem, that will certainly impact SharePoint. You can setup calls to ping the service or even record a sequence of steps to navigate through a website as an example to confirm availability. You can use run as credentials and monitor the time it takes to complete the steps. If it takes longer than you would like then the system can raise a warning or even an error state. Any number of other performance counters can be looked at when monitoring SharePoint. Most are probably aware of the SharePoint Health Analyzer that is part of SharePoint 2010. That is the component that alerts you when you log into central administration if there is a problem. Operations Manager can raise the visibility of these alerts by acting on these rules.
· Service Level Dashboard
o Runs in SharePoint
o How are you doing against Service Level Goals
o Almost real time
o Filter to slice and dice the data
· Automating OpsMgr Integration of Hyper-V with Opalis – Enabling the IT Process Automation.
o IT Process Automation (ITPA), also known as Run Book Automation (RBA), is the ability to orchestrate and integrate IT management tools through workflow
o Take tasks like OpsMgr monitoring, identify a Hyper-V host problem, trigger an Opalis script to Live Migrate guest sessions to another server
o Use OpsMgr to monitor the response time of an application, determine that the app is not performing as quickly as expected, spawn an Opalis policy to provision a new guest session to improve performance response.
o Opalis has a new name. It is System Center Orchestrator. It is an incredible tool that works very well and very tightly integrates with Operations Manager.
o Using Opalis to Provision New Guest Sessions from an OpsMgr Trigger
o Evaluate & Deploy Operations Manager 2007 R2
o Hosted labs
Installing Operations Manager 2007
Operations Manager 2007 R2 – Introduction
Operations Manager 2007 R2 – Advanced
Management Pack Authoring – Introduction (ITPro)
Management Pack Authoring – Advanced (ITPro)
Monitoring Windows Server, SQL Server and Exchange
o Download 180-day Evaluation Version
o Get Trained – Microsoft Courseware
o Learning Resources at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/systemcenter/om/bb499676.aspx
o Get Involved in the Community
o Product Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/momteam
o Support Team Blog: http://blogs.technet.com/operationsmgr
o Twitter: Follow #mpreleases hashtag for updates on management packs
Dan Stolts, Sr. IT Pro Evangelist, Microsoft Corporation
|Product(s):||Microsoft System Center Operations Manager 2007|
|Date:||August 01, 2011|